Friday, February 3, 2012

reminders and other stuff

Okay, first, here's a list of what is expected by Monday:
  • A list of 15 examples of rhetorical tools from your chosen article. You obviously don't have to choose 15 different tools, but 15 examples of a few different tools. For example, you could choose four examples of imagery, four examples of allusion, four examples of metaphor, and three examples of diction (does that add up to 15? oh well, you get the point). You will give the quote, identify the tool, and say whether or not it's effective for the audience. I'd like a typed, hard copy of this. Let me give you an example:
    • "ROFL!" (page 92 from "Dear Students...") This is an example of diction, particularly idiosyncratic diction because only people who are familiar with Internet acronyms are going to understand it. I would argue that this is ineffective; although Burton is trying to use "lingo" students are familiar with, it seems almost condescending because he's assuming students communicate on this level. Thus, he seems to be "dumbing it down" for the students. 
    • You don't have to go as deep into the analysis, but you get the idea. 
  • Found poem, which you will post to your blog. Here's what Wikipedia says about found poetry: 
    • Found poetry is a type of poetry created by taking words, phrases, and sometimes whole passages from other sources and reframing them as poetry by making changes in spacing and/or lines (and consequently meaning), or by altering the text by additions and/or deletions. The resulting poem can be defined as either treated: changed in a profound and systematic manner; or untreated: virtually unchanged from the order, syntax and meaning of the original.
    • Here's an example:
      • This is a facebook status from one of my friends: "Cut my hair to my chin, died it black. After Darci said I looked evil I woke up a little depressed. Took me a moment to realize that wasn't really my reality. Way bad dream, huh." Okay, here's the poem I made from it:
Cut my hair to
      my chin, 
died.

It black, after
Darcy said I
        looked evil I woke up

A little depressed.

Took me a moment to 
        realize that 
                        it wasn't my reality. 
Way bad 
                       dream, huh?


Fun, right? You can "find" poems anywhere (handyman guides, cookbooks, Facebook statuses, book reviews, travel guides, book jackets, etc. etc.) Just go for it, and I think you'll like it. 

One more thought: Please bring your supplemental guide to class on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment