Wednesday, January 11, 2012

a few items of business

Good luck on your first drafts! I recommend eating chocolate before you start writing--that always helps me (: If you have any questions about the paper, consult the Supplemental Guide first. That has all of the information you need, and you should review it frequently. I grade straight from the rubric found in the chapter on Opinion Editorial, so you should also be familiar with that.

As far as Friday goes, I am making the reading from New Media optional (in other words, you don't have to read "I Tweet, Therefore I Am"). I didn't announce it in class, because I wanted to reward everyone that checks the blog! Haha. Really, though, I don't think we'll get to it, so don't worry about reading it unless you want to. But you DO need to read chapter four in Writing and Rhetoric. 

One thought on claims/thesis statements: I didn't get to say this in class, but one way to make an okay argument a great argument is to make sure you are proposing a concrete solution. In other words, it is insufficient to argue that something is good or bad; rather, you need to argue what people should actually do to solve the problem. For example, if you were to argue that American Heritage is a terrible class, it wouldn't be a great argument unless you included in your argument what BYU should do to make American Heritage a better course. Does that make sense? Hopefully so.

Also, make sure that you are following this blog as well as all your classmates' blogs. Your first official post is coming up next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment